288. Astronomers and scientists think that a black hole is a region of space _____ which matter has fallen and _____ which nothing can escape.
A. into; from B. towards; towards C. out of; from D. through; through
287. We all do more speaking more speaking _____, even when we have a break after class.
A. now and then B. by and by C. step by step D. more or less
286. During the test we were supposed to stay in our seats, keep our eyes on our work, _____ to anyone.
A. but could not talk B. instead of speaking C. rather than speak D. and not speak
285. _____ so much electrical equipment, wood and paper in one place, there a danger of fire.
A. For B. In C. with D. By
284. He will pass two milestones _____, that is, he will receive his master’s degree and find a challenging job.
A. long ago B. for long C. before long D. long before
283. The president’s speech was _____ boring; it is, in fact, rather inspiring and interesting.
A. anything but B. nothing but C. no more D. all but
282. Among the films being nominated(提名) _____ directed by Zhang Yimou.
A. is a popular film B. is as popular C. a popular film D. one is popular
281. Jason has been preparing carefully for his English examination so that he could be sure of passing it at his first _____.
A. purpose B. desire C. attempt D. intention
280. _____ a fire, hotel guests are asked to remain calm.
A. As a result of B. In the event of C. By reason of D. In the time of
279. The study you have been making _____ the ancient Chinese characters is an instructive job.
A. to B. for C. of D. from